Wellness Tips for Managing Cholesterol
Please see our list of Foundational Nutrients for general health.
Fish Oil- Omega 3 Fatty Acids, abundant in quality Fish Oil supplements, help to reduce inflammation, support healthy blood pressure and brain health, and work to boost the body’s HDL levels (the good cholesterol). Our customer favorite is the Cholesterol Support formula, which also contains Beta Sitosterols – natural plant based nutrients that cause the body to flush out the LDL (harmful) cholesterol.
Freshlife Vitamin C- Keeping the vein and arterial walls healthy and supple is an often overlooked component to keeping cholesterol at healthy levels. This is because damage to inflexible arterial walls causes the body to produce cholesterol to patch over the damaged areas, contributing to plaque build up. Vitamin C is one of the building blocks of collagen and will help keep your veins and arteries healthy and flexible!
Freshlife Clear Fiber- That’s right, one scoop a day of our Clear Fiber formula will keep excess cholesterol flushed out of your system every day! And that is good news for your heart!
Freshlife Cholesterol Support- This formula safely and effectively supports the body’s reduction of LDL (the harmful form) cholesterol and triglycerides. Our blend of herbs and nutrients work together to lower cholesterol and support many other areas of the body as well. A few stars in the formula are: Fiber, known for its ability to help the body flush cholesterol out of the blood stream and support healthy digestion; Chromium, a key trace mineral that helps not only to maintain a healthy cholesterol level but a healthy sugar metabolism in the blood as well; Plant Sterols which not only help to reduce bad forms of cholesterol but also work to modulate the immune system and reduce inflammation throughout the body. Soy Isoflavones* lower LDL cholesterol as well as total serum cholesterol!
*Contains phytoestrogens – consult your physician before use if you are a breast cancer survivor.
Freshlife Red Yeast Rice Plus- This remedy contains a nutrient called monacolin k which is identical to a compound found in statin drugs, and therefore works in a similar fashion to have a big impact on lowering cholesterol. We prefer this to the plain Red Yeast Rice formula because it contains nutrients which help to both support the liver and replenish the body’s source of CoQ 10 – an important antioxidant for protecting cardiovascular health. For a greater effect, we suggest adding 50-100mg of our Ubiquinol CoQH, the best supplemental form of CoQ 10, for it’s enhanced absorption and support.
Freshlife Policosanol: Works to inhibit cholesterol formation in the liver.
Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations
- Veggies Veggies Veggies! Don’t underestimate the power of adding extra vegetables in your diet. Look for every opportunity to eat more fresh veggies.
- Boost fiber! Whole Grain goodness! Look for whole grains in our bulk aisle. Buckwheat, millet, quinoa, and steel cut oats are great options. Also, consider adding oat or wheat bran, flax seed, and chia seeds into your diet.
- Healthy fats. Mix up the fats you consume, reduce fried foods altogether and experiment cooking with a variety of different oils – avocado, coconut, hemp, sesame, and sunflower are a few options to try. Research cooking temperatures of the oils you are using and use them properly: any oil that goes past the smoke point will turn rancid and do more harm to your body than good.
- Reduce sugars, white flours, and processed foods in your diet. Keep in mind, the body often produces cholesterol as a defense against the damage caused by high blood sugar and free radicals.
- Increase your intake of antioxidants – superfoods and good old fashioned fruits, vegetables and unadulterated grains are all good sources of antioxidants that will work to keep the cardiovascular system strong and healthy.
Health Disclaimer: The information provided in this handout should not be construed as personal medical advice or instruction. It is intended for educational purposes only and is not meant to diagnose or treat any disease. No action should be taken based solely on the contents of this handout. Readers should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being. For more information or recommendations tailored to your specific needs, please schedule a Nutritional Consultation with a Freshlife Wellness Coach.
*This material may not be reproduced without permission.